Thursday, January 19, 2012

A New Job and Whole Wheat Flour

Up to this point in my life cooking/baking has really been more of a hobby, not an every day occurrence. Yes it is true, sadly, that I previously have relied on the microwave and eating out meet our dietary needs daily. Well as you might guess that can become quite expensive and not very nutritious either!

As many of you know I am new to this career of Stay at Home Mom and have been learning slowly how to best fulfill this role. I'm trying to cut myself some slack here because like with any new job, there is a learning curve, right? Anyway, I've found myself with more time on my hands, not much motivation and allowing boredom to set in! GASP! Lucky for me, I have this friend. See my friend, she was born to do this job...she knows the ins and outs like nobody's business. It is from her, a couple of good blogs, the help of a few others and the good Lord himself, that I continue making progress in this endeavor. In the past few months I have made great strides in the culinary department.

Here is a list of my small accomplishments:
- I can make buttermilk to use in baking, yes make it!
- I can bake bread, like real rolls with real yeast!
- I can make cinnamon rolls, breakfast bars, oatmeal pancakes, pizza dough!
- I can (sometimes with a bit of prodding from said friend) throw a meal together if I'm at a loss and low on groceries
- I can use things that I didn't know existed: spelt flour, flax seed meal, whole wheat flour (ok I knew it existed but didn't know people really used it)!
- I use onions and tomatoes even though I don't like them!

I'm very proud of my accomplishments but more so than that I want to share with you some "easier than you think" things that you can do! You can do it too. Below I've listed a couple of websites I really enjoy getting recipes from.

The Happy Housewife
The Pioneer Woman

Check these out and maybe, just maybe, someday I will be helping others out like they do! Oh and thanks to said friend for being my cheerleader and never (well not often anyways) laughing when I say "What the heck is that and where do you buy it?" <3

8 comments:

  1. LOL! I am crazy proud of you, girl! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are two of my favorite websites as well! You should check out hillbillyhousewife.com as well. She has some good whole meals on a budget. More beans/rice/etc type stuff but its healthy.
    It is a learning curve. If I had to go back to work tomorrow not only would I be happy about the time spent with my kids but I would be proud of all the things I have learned. Cloth diapering (even if i dont stick with it at all times), cooking, saving electricity, hanging clothes to dry, different fixes for things instead of buying new, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayay way to cook Amanda! I love cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda!
    This is a little out of the blue, but I just had to say that I am VERY impressed with your accomplishments; especially learning to cook with things you don't even like that much. I kinda sorta fail in that department. Like when it comes to serving salad. :S
    I love the pictures of your beautiful kids - and I really enjoyed meeting you this August. :)
    ~Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liv!! <3 You are so sweet! I loved meeting you and hope to see you again soon!! You will have to come and Skype with me and Abi soon!

      Delete
    2. I would love to! Maybe at our next sleepover...:)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete