Saturday, August 13, 2011

Our Cooshy Tooshy Journey

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: The fabulous thing about cloth diapers is that they are customizable as your baby grows. So as your wee one starts to wee more you can change or tweak what you are using. I just wanted to update on what we are using now that little man is a year old. I have pockets, of course, which I love. My dear sweet husband thinks that the Sandy's fitteds (which I have 6 and LOVE them) are complicated so I've actually ordered a few (ahem...8) more pockets and some bamboo inserts. He always sleeps in a pocket though. I also continue to use prefolds at times, especially when I feel little man needs a breathable diaper. I've made (yes with a sewing machine) a couple of pocket fitteds and fleece covers using Rita Rumps Pocket Fitted Pattern and I like those as well for breath-ability. I made two pair of wool longies using wool sweaters and they came out quite nice. I will probably be able to use one again next winter. So for the time being I'm using my mish mash of diapers according to the needs of the wee boy's bum. Lowing fluff even more than when I started over a year ago!

UPDATE: We are using all pocket diapers now, with a few FLIPs inbetween. I have recently ordered Alvababy diapers and really like them! They are extremely affordable and SO SO SOFT! Aren't the prints cute? These are (IMO) the diapers I was buying from www.justsimplybaby.com just with a different tag. I ordered these directly from China. 



 

So being the mother of three I am pretty money conscious. I like to buy resale/consignment clothing and items and purchase groceries at low prices. When we found out we were expecting number 3 I began to think of ways to save money. One of the biggest changes I made was diving into the world of cloth diapers. You think "Ha! World of cloth diapers?! What could there be? White diapers with pins and covers, right?" You couldn't be more wrong! The world of CD (cloth diapering) is continually growing. There are bookoos of types of diapers, brands of diapers and places to get them! Unfortunately most of the "places to get them" exist solely online. So begins our journey:

I spent hours and hours researching the internet about diapers! How do you wash them? What about poop!? What kind are going to work for my baby? What is the best deal? Where can you get them?? How many diapers do I need??

1. Types of diapers...(I'm highlighting the main ones)
  • Pockets- stay dry feeling with stuffable pocket for absorbent inserts (customizable absorbancy) These come in snaps or aplix (aplix is Velcro) Sunbaby Diapers are an inexpensive good quality pocket to try if you aren't sure. I personally have purchased these and use them daily.
  • Prefolds/flats with covers: This is your biggest money saver as it is the most inexpensive to purchase. These are your grandma's diapers. A cotton or hemp rectangular diaper requiring a cover. Prefolds can be fastened on using a Snappi or other rubber type fastener or pins. Personally, I'm scared of pins LOL Prefolds/flats are not a stay dry feel. Covers are made with a PUL waterproof fabric. Some can even be wiped clean to use for the next prefold/flat. Tons of prints and styles. I used these diapers for the first 8 weeks or so because the other diapers I boguht were one-size so they didn't fit Bo yet. Imagine Prefolds from Nicki's diapers are great. I used them with some different types of covers. Now I use the prefolds at times, but sometimes for burp cloths as well.
  • AIO (all in ones) Like a disposable, but cloth, longer drying time. Examples
  • AI2 (all in 2s)/Hybrid: Multiple insert options. Biodegradable, organic, stay dry liners. These go on like a disposable but usually have reusable covers that can be wiped clean.
  • Fitteds: These are usually cotton, hemp or bamboo and require a cover. Very absorbent. Fitteds do not require folding as they have snaps or velcro fastners. Fitted diaper examples
  • Wool~~~ baaa baaa: Wool has it's own world. There are longies, shorties, skirties and they need to be lanolized to be absorbent. Wool tends to be expensive but many people love how absorbent it is! I haven't tried any yet. Examples of wool
To be continued....
#2 Diaper care

No comments:

Post a Comment