Friday, December 30, 2011

Home Made Laundry Soap

This may seem like "Oh my gosh I can't MAKE something to use!!" Well it is quite easy and quite effective and QUITE money saving. Here is how I do it!

I use the following recipe:

1 Fels Naptha bar of soap (you could use another bar, some use whatever kind they like, Fels Naptha is a laundry bar and was what I was recommended) *Found mine at Ace Hardware, all three of these items can be found at Harris Teeter
1 cup of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (THIS IS NOT BAKING SODA- find it with laundry stuff at the store!)
1/2 c of Borax (You can find this too at the laundry isle)
4 cups of water
5 gal bucket with lid

Let the money saving begin:
First grate up the bar of soap. Now I am lazy, so I cut it with a sharp knife then throw it in my ghetto brand Magic Bullet (whoosh whoosh and its powder!) You could opt for a real live metal grater for an arm workout, to each his own.

Next put the grated soap and the water in a pot, heat until it is all melted together. Do not boil.

Fill a 5 gal bucket half way with water. Add soapy water mixture, add borax and washing soda. Stir. Fill up to the top, cover and let sit for 10-12 hours to thicken.

Stir (and I mean get your hands in there and mash up the gelatin like thickened parts, when I went in to stir mine this morning the entire bottom was like jello, you have to get it all mixed in well so it forms lumpy liquid, it won't be smooth but it won't have giant chunks either.) Fill a used laundry soap dispenser half full then fill the rest with water. Shake (this breaks up the lumps) before each use. It is not a smooth soap, it is goopy but pourable, somewhat lumpy.



Optional: Add 10-15 drops of essential oil fragrance per 2 gallons once soap has cooled.
This yields 10 gallons!! TEN!
For a top loader you want to use 5/8 cup per load (180 loads)
Front loader: 1/4 c per load (640 loads!!!!)

ROCK THE SAVINGS my friends!

This recipe was found at www.duggarfamily.com Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment